Message from the Principal
Dear Students and Parents,
I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you to Desert Winds High School. The staff and I are looking forward to the opportunity to work with you this year and we anticipate another successful year.
Our goal at Desert Winds High School is to provide an educational environment that is nurturing and that will adequately prepare students for the challenges they will face after high school whether they go into a vocational setting or continue to pursue higher education. There are many educational opportunities at Desert Winds High School and we hope that students will take full advantage of those opportunities in order to complete their graduation requirements.
One of the unique aspects of Desert Winds High School is that you can earn credits at a faster pace than you would be able to at a traditional high school setting. Students will be enrolled in 4 periods of courses and expected to earn 5 credits per class, 20 credits a quarter. Students that want to work at a more accelerated pace can apply for an additional 5th and 6th period course. The minimum expectation for the rate of credit completion is 20 credits per quarter and 80 credits per school year. That being said, students must earn 230 credits and pass Algebra I in order to fulfill the graduation requirements of the Antelope Valley Union High School District.
● Quarter 1 - 4 classes =20 credits
● Quarter 2 - 4 classes = 20 credits
● Total for the semester = 40 credits
● Total for the year = 80 Credits (earning an additional 20 credits a year)
Schedule with 5 classes
● Quarter 1 - 5 classes = 25 credits
● Quarter 2 - 5 classes = 25 credits
● Total for the semester =50 credits
● Total for the year = 100 (earning an additional 40 credits)
Schedule with 5 classes and 1 virtual/ online course
● Quarter 1 - 5 classes + online = 30 credits
● Quarter 2 - 5 classes + online = 30 credits
● Total for the semester = 60 credits
● Total for the year= 120 credits (earning an additional 60 credits)
Over the years, we have seen many students successfully graduate from our program and have identified key components that we believe are necessary for all students to be successful:
Components of Student Success:
● Regular attendance
● Participation in class daily. Homework will only be assigned when students show they are successful in class.
It is a privilege.
● Earn at least 20 credits every quarter (9 weeks)
We are here to support and serve students as they diligently and persistently pursue their academic goals. Let us have a great year!
Ms. Laura Tweedy Ferguson
Principal of Alternative Education